Wednesday, April 5, 2017

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

From Goodreads
Enzo knows he is different from other dogs: a philosopher with a nearly human soul (and an obsession with opposable thumbs), he has educated himself by watching television extensively, and by listening very closely to the words of his master, Denny Swift, an up-and-coming race car driver.

Through Denny, Enzo has gained tremendous insight into the human condition, and he sees that life, like racing, isn't simply about going fast. On the eve of his death, Enzo takes stock of his life, recalling all that he and his family have been through


A heart-wrenching but deeply funny and ultimately uplifting story of family, love, loyalty, and hope, The Art of Racing in the Rain is a beautifully crafted and captivating look at the wonders and absurdities of human life...as only a dog could tell it.

I know, I know, I said it would be yesterday that I posted this. Sorry about the delay, my internet has been kind of wonky for the last day or so, and as of last night, is down completely until the new modem is dropped off later today (I'm writing this at school). 

I read this book for the first time in 2010 or around then, forgot about it, and then found it in a bookstore downtown back in January of this year. It doesn't take long to breeze through, the chapters are relatively short and easy to digest. 

I love the premise of this book. I love books that are told from the animal's point of view, as it shows humanity from a completely different perspective. It could help that I love dogs as well. Enzo is a matter-of-fact, but sweet narrator, and the narrative style that Garth Stein uses creates a familiarity in tone and atmosphere. We see everything from Enzo's point of view It's equal parts funny and heartbreaking, and you'll want to hug and cuddle the nearest dog you see upon finishing this book. 


Stein's writing style is very simplistic, but the content of this novel deals with very complex situations. While there were some minor quibbles I had regarding minor plot points (the zebra stuffy), overall, this book was fantastic. I love how the story is set up, the details, and the metaphors that Enzo makes relating racing to everyday life. While I am not a fan of racecar driving (or sports in particular), I found the metaphors to work and enjoyed them; it adds a spark to the book as a whole. Like Fifteen Dogs, this book looks at humanity through the eyes of a dog, which is something that I always enjoy. What does human nature and humanity look like to a non-human, and how do they reconcile with it?

There is a plot point about halfway through the book that changes things completely for Enzo's owner, Denny that only Enzo witnessed. It's interesting to see it through a dog's point of view see what could happen if a dog was the only witness to a crime. How would you question a dog in court? It's a really unique literary device and Stein does it well. While there are certain aspects of this book that I could do without, all in all, it's a really enjoyable and unique book.. 

I'm going to give The Art of Racing in the Rain a 4/5 and recommend it to any dog lover. 

No comments:

Post a Comment