Friday, April 14, 2017

Cauchemar by Alexandra Grigorescu

From Goodreads:
An eerie and romantic Southern gothic drama ...

Gripping, fast-paced, gorgeously written, and with unforgettable characters, Cauchemar tells the story of 20-year-old Hannah, who finds herself living alone on the edge of a Louisianan swamp after her adopted mother and protector dies. Hannah falls in love with Callum, an easy-going boat captain and part-time musician, but after her mysterious birth mother, outcast as a witch and rumoured to commune with the dead, comes back into Hannah’s life, she must confront what she’s been hiding from — the deadly spirits that haunt the swamp, the dark secrets of her past, and the nascent gift she possesses.


This book could have gone in many different directions. It was written in a way that made you want to savour what you were reading and tread slowly, while also wanting to find out how it all works out in the end. It's wonderfully written, and takes so many twists and turns, you won't want to put it down once you're sucked into it. At first, I thought this would be just a Southern romance with a young woman and a man who is slightly older than her with more experience and learning how to cope with the demons of their lives. And I would have been happy with that, I love a good romance, especially when Southern food is involved. But Grigorescu really twisted it up and made it unpredictable, original, and unique. I don't think I have ever read a book quite like this one before and I have to give credit where credit is due. 

Ms. Grigorescu is a very gifted writer. Her prose is very simplistic and easy to follow, almost as if in a discussion with someone. It keeps you engaged and is never alienating, except when it needs to be. The magic realism in this novel is breathtaking at times. It is very believable what she puts in place here. I'm pretty sure we have all had the same thoughts that Hannah and Callum had in this book about nightmarish things. One thing I love is the title, which says it all. Cauchemar is French for nightmare and is used as a term semi-frequently in the book, taking on a double meaning within the book, which I found to be cleverly done (I won't give away what it is at risk of spoilers). While there are some uncomfortable moments, mostly to do with Hannah's pregnancy and what comes with it, I find Grigorescu did it quite well. 

The atmosphere in this book is both haunting and beautiful. The tension and the set-ups and the payoffs that this book has are just incredible. It's the perfect mix of supernatural and coming-of-age. Hannah learns a lot about herself as the novel progresses and comes into her own as a result. The theme of motherhood and familial ties is a really prevalent one, as is isolation, both self-inflicted and forced. It's done in such a unique and different way. I loved the setting for this book. While I have never been to Louisiana, myself, I can't really picture this book taking place anywhere else. All in all, I really enjoyed Cauchemar. I'm going to give it 4.5/5 stars, and I can't wait to see what else Ms. Grigorescu has up her sleeve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment