Sunday, May 13, 2018

Books of Pellinor I: The Naming by Alison Croggon

From Goodreads:
Maerad is a slave in a desperate and unforgiving settlement, taken there as a child when her family is destroyed in war. She doesn't yet know she has inherited a powerful gift, one that marks her as a member of the noble School of Pellinor and enables her to see the world as no other can. It is only when she is discovered by Cadvan, one of the great Bards of Lirigon, that her true identity and extraordinary destiny unfold. Now, she and her mysterious teacher must embark on a treacherous, uncertain journey through a time and place where the forces of darkness wield an otherworldly terror. 

I love me some old-school epic fantasy.

This book had everything going for it: great world-building, excellent characters, compelling plot, amazing writing style. It was a joy to read this book and read the beginning of Maerad's story. While there were some cliches that are common to fantasy, Croggon works with them well, integrating them into the story and setting up the sequels.

This book has been compared to J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. I can kind of see the comparison in that they both have unique settings and some similarities in conventions within their respective worlds. They also both have appendices which add to the worlds of each respective story. But for me, that is where the comparison ends. While I adore Lord of the Rings, Croggon takes the typical "chosen one" fantasy trope and runs with it, creating in her wake a compelling and unique world that is realistic and easy to imagine, with characters that are so layered and flawed that it is its own creature entirely.

The plot moves quickly at first to get the action and main story into motion, but it is not always so quick in its pacing, which is a good thing for a novel of this nature. Croggon still has three more books worth of story to tell, so everything must be set up well for a satisfying payoff, and must create a world and cast of characters that does not feel worn out after the first entry. Croggon does this all wonderfully with well-realized and realistic protagonists Maerad and Cadvan. Their relationship and friendship feels earned and not at all forced. 

The action is thrilling and tense. It's wonderful to read and I found myself not wanting to put it down so I could study for my finals even though I really should have (spoiler: I didn't put the book down, I kept reading and still did well on my exams). While the premise is not so different from other fantasy books, Croggon executes hers with so much uniqueness and a great understanding of her characters, that it feels fresh and new, while also making you feel like you're at home. I love how the characters are written like people. They are flawed. They make mistakes. They have layers. This is due in part to Croggon's writing style, which is lush and beautiful, making the narrative feel like an old story that flows seamlessly.

While the premise is nothing new, what Croggon does in the first Book of Pellinor is endlessly unique and wonderful. With rich writing and world-building, and well-thought out, layered characters, The Naming is an excellent start to an outstanding quartet. I fully enjoyed this book and I'm giving it a 5/5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment