Thursday, May 24, 2018

Beyond a Darkened Shore by Jessica Leake

From Goodreads:
The ancient land of Éirinn is mired in war. Ciara, Princess of Mide, has never known a time when Éirinn’s kingdoms were not battling for power, or Northmen were not plundering their shores. 

The people of Mide have thankfully always been safe because of Ciara’s unearthly ability to control her enemies’ minds and actions. But lately, a mysterious crow has been appearing to Ciara, whispering warnings of an even darker threat. Although her clansmen dismiss her visions as pagan nonsense, Ciara fears this coming evil will destroy not just Éirinn, but the entire world. 

Then the crow leads Ciara to Leif, a young Northman leader. Leif should be Ciara’s enemy, but when Ciara discovers that he, too, shares her prophetic visions, she knows he’s something more. Leif is mounting an impressive army, and with Ciara’s strength in battle the two might have a chance to save their world. 

With evil rising around them, they’ll do what it takes to defend the land they love…even if it means making the greatest sacrifice of all.


Early medieval Ireland, Vikings, and Irish folklore? Sign me up!!! 

I bought this book on a whim at Chapters and loved everything about it from the cover to the summary and I had to have it. And was I glad to read it. I wrote a massive essay about Vikings (more specifically Viking ships) this past school year; I've always had an interest in Vikings and their culture. Additionally, I love everything to do with the early medieval era, Ireland, and Irish folklore, so this book was like the ultimate combination of all those things. 

This book was so well-written. The plot was engaging. It wasn't too plot or character-heavy, each relying on the other to move themselves forward. Jessica Leake has created a wonderful, richly detailed world here. I truly felt as though I was in early medieval Ireland. She was able to create such an atmospheric backdrop for her story that it was as if I were transferred to that place in time while I was reading. It was well-researched and her research shows, making for an even more enjoyable read.

The characters were well-developed and layered. Not one main character felt out of place or one-dimensional. While a few of their decisions or events that they were involved in were a tad predictable, I found it didn't detract from the story or from the character development in any way, and only added to the overall story. 

The story is always moving, and it's never dull. There are many moments of brutality that are interwoven with moments of beauty and chilling surroundings. This book is a perfect combination of Irish mythology, pagan mythology, Vikings, and many other elements already mentioned to make it an incredible finished product.

I absolutely loved this book. I ate it up entirely and it was wonderful. This is Jessica Leake's first novel, and she works with her material perfectly. It was a perfect weaving of everything on the table. Beyond a Darkened Shore took me by storm and I loved it immensely. I'm giving this book 5/5; I can't wait to see what Jessica Leake has up her sleeve next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment