Saturday, September 10, 2016

Ulysses by James Joyce

Here it is, guys. My thoughts on James Joyce's tome Ulysses, which I read over the course of about a week or so (vacations are wonderful) at the end of August.

This post will be more informal, using bullet points to make my points, since there has already been so much said on this book, and most of my opinions have already been said in some shape or form.

This is not your typical review, since it's impossible to come up with a cohesive and conclusive review. I love the fact that I read it, and I think it's a book that everyone should read. The reading experience was interesting, which I will touch on a little bit in my points below. I'll provide a very basic summary of Ulysses, as basic as I can get. I will give this book a rating out of five as I always do.


  • So for a very basic summary, Ulysses follows a man's (Leopold Bloom) journey over one day, June 16, 1904, sort of in a similar fashion to Homer's Odyssey only told in the span of 24 hours and takes place in "Dear dirty Dublin". Bloom has many odd and bizarre encounters over the course of his day, learns about his family, himself, and the world around him in Dublin, Ireland. 
  • This book is filled with so many streams of consciousness. This was not my first encounter with stream of consciousness; there was a form of it in Toni Morrinson's Beloved, but it was less prominent and pronounced, and was only featured in a chapter or two, 
  • The reading process for this book was very daunting. I was determined to finish it, and while it was a difficult and sometimes frustrating read, it was really rewarding. I thoroughly enjoyed Ulysses
  • There were sections of this book that were so bizarre and so outlandish (brothel chapter in particular, which was written in the form of a play and featured some eyebrow-raising and WTF?!-moments; I read that chapter on the way to Montreal, and my dad, who was sitting in the back seat with me, said my expression was priceless.)
  • The best way I can describe this book is that it is to books and literature as "Revolution 9" from The White Album is to music and sound: Jarring, bizarre, frightening at times, genius, and seen as being a love letter to their forms. I have no doubt that, much like John Lennon said about "Revolution 9" being "the music of the future" (which, in a way, he was right about), Joyce thought that this form of storytelling would be more common in the future. Which, he is right about. (Yes, I think "Revolution 9" is a work of genius in its bizarre, nightmarish, way.)
  • I think ultimately, I like the fact that I have read this book as it's apparently an important book for me to read. (I've had recommendations from two separate English profs and two of my uncles that I read this book posthaste). 
  • All in all, Ulysses was confusing, jarring, bizarre, frustrating, and ultimately heartfelt. It's one of a kind, and I appreciate having read it. I have to give it 5/5 for being so original and unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment